Fred Lewis Obituary - Death: Drummer for the Funk Band Lakeside

Posted by Brenda Moya on Friday, May 3, 2024

Fred Lewis Obituary

Fred Lewis, the esteemed drummer who lent his dynamic beats to the funk-infused melodies of Lakeside, has taken his final bow, leaving behind a resonating legacy in the world of music. His passing on September 14, 2023, at the age of 72, marked a poignant moment in the annals of music history.

Fred’s rhythmic prowess was pivotal to Lakeside’s ascent to fame, with their 1981 chart-topping hit, “Fantastic Voyage,” becoming an anthem of its era. His percussive artistry provided the backbone for the band’s grooves, captivating audiences and igniting dance floors.

As we bid farewell to Fred Lewis, we remember not only the beats that reverberated through his drumsticks but also the enduring spirit of funk and soul that he infused into Lakeside’s music. His contribution remains etched in the hearts of fans, a testament to the timeless power of his musical journey.

Related posts:

Fred Lewis Obituary - Death: Drummer for the Funk Band Lakeside

Fred Lewis Obituary – Death: Drummer for the Funk Band Lakeside

Fred Lewis’s legacy

Fred Lewis was an integral member of Lakeside from the band’s inception in Dayton, Ohio, during the early 1970s. His musical talents extended to playing congas, timbales, and various other percussion instruments. Lakeside first made waves in 1978 with their hit “It’s All the Way Live” from the album “Shot of Love.” Just two years later, they achieved their greatest success with the release of “Fantastic Voyage.” The album’s title track garnered significant airplay in early 1981 and soared to the summit of the R&B chart. “Fantastic Voyage” also achieved crossover success in the pop music realm, becoming Lakeside’s sole song to grace the Billboard Hot 100, reaching No. 55. The band went on to produce further hits such as “Your Love Is on the One,” “Outrageous,” and a notable cover of the Beatles’ “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” which climbed to No. 4 on the R&B chart. Fred Lewis’s contributions to Lakeside’s iconic sound left an indelible mark on the world of music.

Tributes to Fred Lewis on Social

“It’s been a few days, but I have to give a special RIP to Fred Lewis of the Funk band Lakeside. Their Unsung episode was the first one that I appeared in back in 2015. As a kid, he was always the most identifiable member of the band to me when I looked at their album covers. I actually saw him in person in the summer of 1999 when a concert featuring Lakeside and the Bar-Kays got canceled because of extreme heat that day in Chicago. I remember thinking “hey that’s my man from Lakeside!“ I never got to meet him but his contributions to, not only his own band, but playing on sessions for label mates like Shalamar and The Whispers, will never be forgotten. If you want to hear Fred Lewis at his best, check out the percussion breakdown to Lakeside‘s first hit “It’s All The Way Live“; a song that he wrote”.

Man!! Big Fred Lewis or Big Fred “Lewmis”, as I used to jokingly call him back in the day. We had great times on the SOLAR Galaxy of Stars tours! Always much respect! Lakeside would always come on before us (Shalamar) and burn the stage up!! When they would end up their set with “All The Way Live” we knew we had to step up our game that night! The healthy competition was so amazing back then…no fights…no guns!!! Raw talent were the only weapons we needed!! And we had plenty of it to go around with Carrie Lucas, Dynasty, Lakeside, Shalamar and the Whispers!

It was my honor to share the stage with you Big Fred!! May God comfort your family and May you rest in heavenly peace my brother!!

It is with deep sadness that we learned of the passing of Fred ‘Timbales’ Lewis. ‘Big Fred’ was a percussionist, writer, performer for the Solar Record’s hit recording group “Lakeside”. Originally known as “Ohio Lakeside Express” as high school students, the band became known as “Lakeside”. Fred and his bandmates were so talented and garnered a recording contract with Motown Records and interest from icon Norman Whitfield. However, Dick Griffey of Soul Train and Solar Records offered them the opportunity to write and produce their own music. This was unheard of at the time for a new unknown group. They began co-producing with legendary producer, bassist and hit songwriter Leon Sylvers III. They went on to write and produce hits such as “Fantastic Voyage” which knocked Michael Jackson off the No.1 spot on the Billboard Charts. More hits such as “All The Way Live” and “Something About That Woman” followed. I will always remember ‘Big Fred’s’ handsome smiling face. A great talent and gentleman. I Carrie Lucas, Carolyn Griffey of Shalamar, Lucas Griffey and the Solar Records family send our love, prayers and condolences to the gentlemen of Lakeside and all of Fred’s family and friends. You are in our thoughts and prayers at this time.

Post Views: 28

ncG1vNJzZmifkaGuucXLmqWdq16YvK561admn6qVmXqtsdaiqmankp7Btq3RsmSdnZGptW6w0a6kpp2iYrOwvoytn55llqq7rHnBmqWdZZyWuKa%2FyJ2caA%3D%3D