Celia Ward Death Pedestrian Convicted Of Manslaughter

Posted by Florance Siggers on Tuesday, May 7, 2024
  • Celia Ward’s death caused pedestrian Auriol Grey to be convicted of manslaughter
  • Auriol Grey aggressively confronted bike rider, Celia Ward, causing her to fall into the path of an oncoming car. 
  • Grey resented the presence of the cyclist Celia Ward on the pavement, which led to the unforeseen death of Celia Ward.

A pedestrian who aggressively confronted an elderly cyclist riding on the pavement, causing her to be killed after she fell into the path of a vehicle, has been jailed for three years for manslaughter.

The jury at Peterborough Crown Court called Auriol Grey territorial about the pavement. They added that Grey resented the presence of the cyclist Celia Ward on the pavement, which led to the unforeseen death of Celia Ward.

Auriol Grey’s trial in February noted that she had acted in a “hostile and aggressive way” towards 77-year-old Celia Ward, including shouting and gesturing at her, causing her to fall from her bike and into the carriageway on 20 October 2020

Grey left the scene before the arrival of the emergency services and went to a supermarket to do her shopping

She was arrested the next day and claimed that Mrs. Ward had been cycling “at high speed” and that she was “anxious I was going to get hit by it,” so “flinched out” with her left arm to protect herself.”

In the trial last month, Cambridgeshire Constabulary could not “categorically” ascertain whether Mrs. Ward had been cycling on a shared-use path. 

In a later hearing, the judge said in his sentencing remarks that it was a shared facility which made Auriol Grey’s anger and resentment towards Mrs. Ward unacceptable. 

CCTV footage shared by Cambridgeshire Constabulary showed Grey, who has cerebral palsy and is partially sighted, shouting at Mrs. Ward, described by her widower as an “experienced and competent cyclist,” to “get off the f*ck*ng pavement.”

Miranda Moore KC said Grey plans to appeal against the sentence and claimed that “she does not pose a risk or danger to the public.”

But the judge told Grey: “These actions are not explained by disability.”

The investigating officer said this case is a stark reminder to all road users to care for and be considerate of each other.

In a victim impact statement, Mrs. Ward’s husband, David, said: “After 53 years of happy marriage, Celia was taken from me most horrifically, leaving me with only my memories. She was kind, calm, careful, cheerful, and competent in all that she did. Her death has caused me great suffering.  We relied on each other, shared the same sense of humour and outlook on life, and enjoyed each other’s company. I miss her terribly.”

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunCvxKWgmmWnlr%2BlecOemK2gXaWypbHSramimZ5isLC61aKarZ2UYrynecyapaykkaq0qcDEq2Y%3D