How did Ray cordeiro die? Cause of Death Explored

Posted by Zora Stowers on Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Hong Kong lost an important figure in its music scene Friday with the passing of Ray Cordeiro, aged 98.

Ray Cordeiro/Facebook)

How did Ray cordeiro die

Reinaldo “Uncle Ray” Cordeiro passed away at the age of 98 on Friday, January 13th, 2023. Throughout his life, he touched many hearts in Hong Kong as a popular radio host and showed people they were never alone. To honor Uncle Ray’s beloved status amongst the local community and beyond, the committee arranging his funeral announced his death on Saturday and concluded it with a performance of “You’ll Never Walk Alone”, which felt particularly apt for the occasion. As a legendary figure in Hong Kong, he will always remain in people’s hearts and minds even after his untimely passing.

“It is with profound sorrow we announce the passing of Reinaldo Maria Cordeiro, also fondly known as Uncle Ray, at the CUHK Medical Centre on 13 January 2023, aged 98. His dearest family and friends bade farewell to him with a rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone.”

What was the cause of his death ?

Ray Cordeiro, the longest-working DJ in the world with a career spanning over six decades on Hong Kong radio where he interviewed some of the biggest music acts including The Beatles, has passed away. Cause of death was not given according to Radio Television Hong Kong where he worked until 2021. Cordeiro had a unique ability in connecting with his listeners and to bring forth great conversations between artists. Since his passing, tributes have been pouring into social media sites honoring the many memories Cordeiro left behind.

Ray Cordeiro, who interviewed music acts including the Beatles during a six-decade career on Hong Kong radio that earned him the title of the world’s longest-working disc jockey, has died at 98. https://t.co/6ELAoZsnLB

— The Associated Press (@AP) January 14, 2023

Who was ray Cordeiro ?

Ray Cordeiro was born on December 12, 1924 to a family of descendants of Portuguese immigrants in Hong Kong. He had an impressive educational background, having studied at St. Joseph’s College and later joining Stanley Prison as a warder and working as a clerk at his father’s bank. In terms of broadcasting, Ray Cordeiro got his start at Radio Rediffusion in the capacity of a scriptwriter and then further progressed to become the host for the popular radio program Progressive Jazz. By 1960 he had taken up the role of head of light music with RTHK, and for the next seven decades he worked hard to interview notable names and launch the careers of many young bands from Hong Kong.

All the Way with Ray, hosted by Ray Cordeiro until 2021, was a trailblazing radio show that held the record of being the longest-running one in Hong Kong. Uncle Ray showcased countless well-known international stars during his shows, including legendary musicians such as The Beatles, The Bee Gees, and The Rolling Stones. He featured Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Cliff Richard, Elton John and Don McLean. Sadly, Elvis Presley was the one celebrity that eluded him as he never got a chance to interview him. Cordeiro was identified by groups of loyal fans due to his gentle voice paired with his signature look which featured a flat cap, glasses and beard. Upon learning of Ray’s death many expressed their sorrow in various tributes acknowledging his immense contributions to the cultural landscape in Hong Kong as they shared stories about how he had shaped their lives with his unique radio show.

Tributes pour to rays death

😢😢😢 We lost another Hong Kong icon Uncle Ray Corderio ! He was one of my oldest friend! He played my request to my then girlfriend Peggy nearly 50 years ago when I was courting her with a Lobo’s song ’I’d Love You To Want Me’ he played at midnight for me to have Peggy listened with me. Of course it touched her heart and the rest is history. Here’s Anniemaria bio story about Uncle Ray on his retirement

I am reading his book now! A wonderful inspiration and wonderful Music 🎵🎶! Thank you Uncle Ray!!

Rest in Peace Uncle Ray Cordeiro. My first boss in Hong Kong has finally gone All The Way – the legendary Uncle Ray Cordeiro has signed off.

Oh no !!! He was very much part of my teenage life !! Listened to him frequently !!! RIP !!

ncG1vNJzZminqJyusb%2BNqKmgZ6KWxm6vzqubnqGipHw%3D